According to the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Medical Association the number of obese children is growing in our nation. An expert committee for the prevention of childhood obesity has released recommendations on how to fight this growing epidemic. A surgeon general report has also been released with some easy to follow guidelines:
- Reduce consumption of sodas and juices with added sugar;
- Reduce consumption of foods that primarily contain added sugar or solid fats;
- Eat more fruits and vegetables and lean proteins;
- Control your portions;
- Drink more water;
- Limit television time and do not put televisions in children’s bedrooms;
- Become more physically active throughout the day.